Nothing can be more distressing than receiving a letter from the IRS. Having tax debt can cause stress, high blood pressure, sleepless nights, and it can also cause a break down in family relationships (we see this often in marriages). At Howard Tax Prep, in our Chicago South Loop tax office, we help clients resolve their IRS tax debts and State tax debt once and for all.
In plain English your options are:
- Don’t over pay!
- Ask for a settlement.
- Ask for A payment plan.
- Ask them to waive the Fees.
- Tell them Don’t blame me!
In IRS Speak and complicated tax language, your options are:
1. Have a competent, and experienced tax consultant review your return for MISSED DEDUCTIONS! I once found $6,000 in missed deductions that put my client into a lower tax bracket, netting her a large tax refund of over $2,000! To be honest, I was actually shocked that I found such a large tax deduction, because the missed tax deduction was something that every good Chicago tax preparer should know! 101. In plain English: Don’t over pay!
2. IRS Offer in compromise. We’re sure that you’ve heard the commercials promising to “settle your tax debt for pennies on the dollar.” While every good tax debt consultant dislikes the phrase “pennies on the dollar” in some cases you can settle your tax debt with a low payment. We’ve seen cases such as: $150,000 tax debt settled for $4,000; $20,000 tax debt settled for $50; and $200,000 tax debt settled for $10,000! Not only can you possibly lower your tax debt, while the IRS considers your offer, you have a little more time raise money for your tax debt. In plain English: Ask for a tax settlement.
3. IRS Installment agreement. When most people receive a letter from the IRS the very first thing they do is think of ways to pay down their tax debt. The IRS offers 3 types of installment plans for tax debt. IRS tax debt installment plans, are basically agreements to pay what you owe on a continual basis, over a defined period of time. In plain English: Ask for a tax debt payment plan.
5. IRS Innocent spouse relief. This can free you from liability if your spouse (or ex-spouse) is the reason for your tax problems. In plain English: Don’t blame me!
Although we’ve given you the basics, this is not an all-inclusive article. Should you have tax debt help questions, need Chicago business tax preparation, business entity creation, business insurance, or business compliance assistance please contact us online, or call our office toll free at 1-855-743-5765 or locally in Chicago or Indiana at 1-708-529-6604. Make sure to join our newsletter for more tips on reducing taxes, and increasing your wealth.
Never miss another tip again! Join our newsletter, to receive tax reduction/wealth building tips delivered right to your inbox!