Family Taxes, General Information, Uncategorized

5 Steps To Take When Someone Illegally Uses Your Child’s Social Security Number On A Tax Return.

police money finance funny

Author Trudy M. Howard

It’s the end of tax season, you’ve finally gotten all of your documents together, and then it happens; your electronically filed tax return is rejected. Here in our South Loop Chicago Tax Preparation office, I work with many Chicago tax preparation clients that receive the dreaded IRS Reject Codes R0000-507-01 and F1040SSPR-507 .   Rejected electronic file codes R0000-507-01 and F1040SSPR-507  mean that the IRS system recognizes the child’s social security number as being claimed on another return. While it may be frustrating, if you are truly entitled to file the child/dependent in question, there are steps you can take to claim your child on your refund after someone filed them. 

Step 1: Complete a paper tax return claiming all of your rightful dependents.

Step 2: Complete an IRS Identity Theft Affidavit (IRS form 14039)

Step 3: Locate the IRS mailing address for your state, and mail your paper tax return along with the completed form 14039.

Step 4: Wait on acknowledgment letter that form 14039 was received, and allow the IRS from 120-180 days to resolve your case.

Step 5: The IRS may determine that you need to placed into the PIN program, which means that on an annul basis you will receive a 6 digit Identity Protection pin number that has to be entered on your tax returns.

Also per the IRS Website: “If your tax records are not currently affected by identity theft, but you believe you may be at risk due to a lost or stolen purse or wallet, questionable credit card activity or credit report, contact the IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit at 800-908-4490 (Monday – Friday, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. local time; Alaska and Hawaii follow Pacific time).”

Although we’ve given you the basics, this is not an all-inclusive article. Should you have tax debt help questions, need Chicago business tax preparation, business entity creation, business insurance, or business compliance assistance please contact us online, or call our office toll free at 1-855-743-5765 or locally in Chicago or Indiana at 1-708-529-6604. Make sure to join our newsletter for more tips on reducing taxes, and increasing your wealth.


Never miss another tip again! Join our newsletter, to receive tax reduction/wealth building tips delivered right to your inbox!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s